Friday, July 22, 2005

Well I guess this is growing up...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Great news! Audrey and I have a brother who will sign our lease and make the move in one week a reality!!! I am so very excited to have some actual concrete news as I have been packing my apartment but existing in complete limbo as to what final destination the moving truck would have.

However, as with all of life, it was not long before tears followed joy. I called my family members (three calls) to let them know what was going on, and rather than being excited, they say the most negative aspects. They even went out of their way to speak in hypothetical worst-case scenario. So, after much frustration and a few tears (well, it is my last day in San Diego...), I got of the phone and vented to a roommate and two friends. Audrey, M, and E were all exceptionally understanding and encouraging. I was most touched by E's comment: "So them causing that much drama for you is their way of saying that we can hardly bare to see you settle so far away because we love you so much and will miss you."

After an appropriate "awww," I agreed and then thanked God for such an amazing friend...who, for the record, will be an amazing husband to some fantastic girl---someday!

After years of trying to do everything right and be all that I could be, I have truly hit the breaking point of pleasing all of the family all of the time. I am not forgoing good counsel or refusing to ever call again, but I can no longer live based on the decisions of everyone else for my life. Thanks Audrey for helping me to see this clearly.

While I don't entirely agree with the entire sentiment of "Damn the man, save the empire," I am most certainly feeling these words today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Audrey said...

You know how muc of a diplomat Dad is, and it was he who raised me to believe: THink for yourself; question everything you don't understand; Or shut up and be a silent victim of authority.

I know it's difficult to not have the approval of your family...but sometimes even parents can't see past what they wish would happen...

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home